I’m a serious user of skincare devices and products. Being a licensed Master Esthetician, and a CIDESCO Diplomat with a BioScience background, this makes me a demanding customer. I’m also acutely aware of my appearance. It’s a professional hazard.
I decided to invest in the Time Master Pro (TMP), which is a multi-tasking, professional-grade low-frequency Ultrasound with LED for tightening skin and reduces wrinkles. It’s also marketed for use in brightening the skin and reducing pigmentation.
Why I am Using Time Master Pro (TMP)
Some background, in my early 50s a devasting injury left me sleepless in bed for several years.
This aged me horrendously! With my recent recovery, I’ve been on a personal quest to regain my previous youthful appearance. I’ve been pursuing what I can do at home, using my professional edge.
What is the Science Behind TMP?
PubMed and Google Scholar are bursting with studies supporting the use and parameters of ultrasound for skin tightening, subcutaneous fat reduction, and, of course, imaging.
The TMP works by creating vibration at 90 KHz which is 90,000 waves per second. This wave oscillation activates skin metabolism and regeneration of skin cells. The output is the same frequency as a laser device, but the energy is so low it doesn’t damage the skin. As you move the device over your skin, you will feel your skin getting tighter almost immediately.
Because ultrasound waves also have a firming effect on the muscles supporting your skin, each use will give you an overall firmer appearance.
Throughout this process, the upwelling of this increased blood flow brings your skin means more oxygen, nutrients, and growth factors are delivered to your skin, too. This increases the magnifies the renewal of your skin, leading to effective skin repair as well as an increase in the removal of wastes in the pores. Win-Win-Win!
This device doesn’t heat up. The non-thermal (No-heat) action of ultrasound is effective in skin regeneration and wrinkle reduction because of the rapid oscillation it produces in your skin. This oscillation produces an upwelling of blood, promoting an exchange of nutrients, oxygen, and wastes between the inner and outer cells and increases fibroblast activity, which is necessary for increased collagen formation. Collagen strengthens your skin making your look younger and more vibrant. More collagen and elastin is a great thing.
This multi-tasking skincare device doubles your improvement because it also has LED in Red, Green Blue and white LED Combo flashing of all three colors for a compounding effect.
Ultrasound has the fantastic ability to magnify and increase many other skincare modalities, making it highly complementary and versatile.
How Will You Know it is Working?
You’ll know the TMP is working by the immediate lifted appearance of your face and the glow of your skin. You will see a plumped-up appearance from this new collagen. The new collagen pushes the folds of the wrinkles out and new elastin helps to tighten the skin and give it more bounce.
How I Used My TMP
I recommend starting on the lowest setting and use the flashing multi-color LED to get the combined benefit of ALL of them.
Conduction through a watery gel is key.
When I first used it, it felt a little weird, like a ‘pulling’ sensation. It doesn’t hurt, it’s just unexpected.
As I said, I started off using the lowest setting with the LED flashing the white combined LED light. Once I applied the TMP to my face and neck, I kept it moving, slowly gliding it over the serum or mask I was using. It beeps, but this is NOT a timer. DO NOT hold it in place waiting for the beep. Keep it gently moving.
It automatically shut-off after 10 minutes of use.
I used it two times (2x) per week for 10 minutes each time. When I could no longer felt the ‘pulling’ sensation, I increased the power to the next higher setting, leveling up. I did this until I found I could easily use the next higher setting and maxed out at the top setting. For me, this happened gradually over six weeks of use. Your experience may be slightly different depending upon your skin thickness and condition.
Do Be Careful!
I dialed down the strength when I used it on my forehead. There’s not a lot of padding on top of the frontal bone, so it can be a bit too intense if you don’t lower the setting.
Specifications on the Time Master Pro
- Blue is 470nm
- Green is 520nm
- Red is 650nm
- Infrared is 940nm
- Blue wavelength penetrates to 1mm
- Green penetrates to 2mm
- Red wavelength penetrates to 3mm
- Infrared wavelength penetrates 5-10mm
How will it Affect Fillers?
Fillers and skincare devices and treatments can mix, but there are some cautions and protocols to follow.
According to these three medical doctors, Dr. Norman Rowe, M.D., F.A.C.S, of Manhattan, Dr. Tom DeWire, MD, FACS of Richmond, VA, and Dr. Siew Tuck Wah is an MD in Singapore with a focus on aesthetic medicine, these are the guidelines of what to avoid after fillers and Neurotoxin injections:
- The first 48 hours are critical for your success and preserving your aesthetic procedure investment. All fillers are quite malleable under your skin for the first 48 hours. Do Not use ANY microcurrent or non-invasive skincare tools or treatments during this window. If you do any of this the filler or neurotoxin injectables can migrate to unintended sites causing distortions that will last the duration of the injectable unless you have it medically dissolved and start again.
- After treatment of Botox, another neurotoxin injectable, or Fillers, avoid anything that can thin your blood, or cause the blood vessels to dilate. The list includes:
- Avoiding the sauna or hot tub.
- Intense exercise on the same day. (Walking is fine the first 48 hours.)
- Avoiding the consumption of Vitamin E, Turmeric, Gingko Biloba, and Aspirin.
- No alcohol
- Ultherapy, being quite strong, is a special circumstance. According to Janet Allenby, DO, a Board-Certified Dermatologist, “Ulthera can be combined with fillers but the fillers need to be done after the Ulthera or in an area where you won’t treat with Ulthera. Otherwise it can decrease the life of the filler. Both can be subtle when done correctly. Ulthera will be a bit more subtle than fillers as it lifts and tightens over the course of several months.”
- Radiofrequency is another category of its own. Just like Ultherapy, have your Radiofrequency treatment done before you have your injectables or neurotoxin. You see, Radiofrequency works by carefully heating up the lower levels of your skin, causing some minor damage and leading the body to try to ‘heal’ that damage, resulting in increased collagen formation. And since too much heat can reduce the life of your fillers, timing becomes imperative.
And One More Thing on Ultrasound
Ultrasound is becoming mainstream and ‘Inquiring Minds’ wish to know.
First off, Ultrasound, as engineered in the TimeMaster Pro, and Ultherapy have a common basis but differ in their waveform, intensity, duration of use, and thermal effect, with the thermal effect being the biggest consideration for people with fillers and injectables.
Ultrasound technology is made up of high-frequency sound waves that transfer energy into tissues via vibration/oscillation of molecules, generating heat. I’ll be referencing the TimeMaster Pro (TMP) since this is your question.
Low-Frequency Ultrasound, which is what the TimeMaster Pro uses, while it does extend down into the lower levels of the skin, where fillers are deposited, it doesn’t produce heat, which is your main concern. It can produce a very mild heat, at most.
Ultrasound has three (3) different frequencies:
- High-frequency therapeutic Ultrasound (800-4000 kHz – Stem Cell Applications)
- Medium-frequency Ultrasound (500 kHz-10 mHz – Surgery & Oncology)
- Low-frequency Ultrasound (20-120 kHz – Skin (Wound) Treatment – here’s where the Time Master Pro rates at 90kHz)
I’m going to default to the 48-Hour protocol for dermal fillers and neurotoxin injectables….NO devices or treatments, including but not limited to, Microneedling and Derma Rollers, Microcurrent, Ultrasound or Radio Frequency for 48 hours after you’ve had dermal fillers or neurotoxin injectables. Let everything settle undisturbed. After the COMPLETE 48 hours have passed, you can safely resume your use of your TMP, microcurrent, derma rolling or other skin treatments and devices.
And the difference in power and waveform of a home ultrasound device as compared to a clinical ultrasound device like HIFU… these are miles apart.
More on TimeMaster Pro and Ultrasound
The Time Master Pro uses Low-Frequency Ultrasound waves at 90 KHz (90,000 sound waves per second). And To be clear, Ultrasound uses sound waves. These are continuous sound waves that are inaudible to the human ear. Ultrasound creates a cellular disturbance to boost collagen production and results in no outward injury to the skin and has no downtime. The ultrasound in the TMP does NOT heat the skin. As stated by one report at the NIH (National Institute of Health) and the US National Library of Medicine, this level of sound wave frequency is therapeutic for wound healing, improved blood oxygenation, increased collagen, mesoporation (think product absorption).
Paraphrasing from the report, it states that using low-frequency ultrasounds, the major effect on tissue is a physical change in healing, and it cleans the skin while stimulating it at a cellular level. The research concluded low-frequency ultrasound results in better blood supply, improved oxygen levels, and increased collagen production for faster healing and healthier skin.
And you’ll see a fast and lasting plumping of your skin for wrinkle reduction with continued use. This healing effect accumulates with persisting routine use.
Ideally, your use is limited to 2 (two) 10-minute sessions a week for the best results. Less is more with the TMP.
Lastly, do not confuse Ultrasound, such as used by the TMP with HIFU (high-intensity-focused-ultrasound: think magnifying glass focusing the rays in one spot). HIFU heats tissue considerably and deeply, and if not conducted and performed by trained individuals can be counter-productive. HIFU delivers precise and intense fractional ultrasound energy. HIFU is like a magnifying glass concentration the power of sunlight light to burn holes in leaves.
Contraindications of Ultrasound Therapy & LED
- For external use only and not to exceed the recommended maximum of 10 minutes
- Do not use on broken skin or skin with inflammation, weeping or soreness or on a severe sunburn
- Should not be used if you are pregnant or nursing
- Do not use over metal pins and plates
- Consult a physician before using with pathological skin conditions, heartbeat regulating medications/heart complaints, if you have a pacemaker or other battery-operated and electrical implant, or if you have a neurological disorder, including epilepsy or multiple sclerosis, cancer, autoimmune condition, or a diagnosed heart condition
- Not for use on or by children between 12 and 17 years old without parental supervision and not recommended for children under the age of 12
Do not use the Time Master Pro with any other electronic medical devices(s), such as: Pacemakers and other implanted type electronic devices, pump-oxygenators and other electronic medical equipment designed for sustentation, electrocardiographs and other electronic medical devices to be worn by the patient or an implant or an intrauterine contraceptive device.
Do not use the Time Master Pro without prior approval from your healthcare practitioner if are/have:
- Pregnant or menstruating
- Thyroid problems
- Metallic implants
- Open wounds or sores
- Body temperature over 100.4 Fahrenheit
- Cardiac health conditions
- Extreme hypertension and cerebral infarction
- Contagious dermatitis
- Entopic dermatitis
- Folliculate acne
- General lupus
- General Sclerosis
- Madison’s Disease
- Bleeding Illnesses or injuries as ultrasound will increase blood circulation
For about 7 months now I’ve been using the TMP 1-2 times weekly, for 10 minutes at a go, and I’m very, very impressed. The Time Master Pro was a solid purchase.
See for yourself, I’ve attached a before and after pic of my neck and lower face so you can see my baseline and my neck’s improvement from using the TMP.
Before Using TMP
After Using TMP
My litmus test is always my neck. If you’re over 45 you know this emotionally-charged pain point. From baseline to the present time, I see a dramatic change in my neck, my face, my facial skin in general. The TMP is enhancing everything else I’m doing for myself.